Image

Image

Wellcome to my blog

My name is Martina Staniek, and I make OOAK (One Of A Kind) Teddy Bears and other soft sculptures.
I also knit and crochet - i always on the search for those very diffrent and fantastic pattern.
Last year i learned to Spin, and now i also create wonderfull and unique yarn.

I would like to introduce to you my creations and keep you updated with other happenings which are important to me.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

something new - spinning !

 

i did it … i ordered me a drop spindle
i investigated in internet
and i tried …
here are a few pics

my first try
i don't know what wool it is, its coarse, sticks together, doesn't part as easy as merino
actually its a wool i dislike, so i pulled it out to test with it :D
its 2 yarns, and plyed (sp?) together - or so i thought ….

001

here some lovelies
mulberry silk - linen - and some other lovely things i forgot the name of

i tell you … i took a slight bit of hair, and i wanted to try to spin … but … ufffffffffff
nahhhhhhhhh, give me a few years experience first please

003

and this is actually the wool i want to learn spinning for
merino roving … 40 colours … 1 kilo :D
the 2nd thread i want to ply it together with will be black
i LOVE rainbows :D :D :D

002

a first try with the golden brown one in the bottom right corner
omg that was bad … it separated like when i looked at it
i tried … i really tried, it didn't work

004

so i pulled out one of the other ones, those bright ones, the are all the same, the brown isn't the same
yellow sunshine :D
the single hair when i pull it out is about 10 cm long

took me an hour to make this worm !!
i tried to ply it with itself …omg … it exploded on me *lol*
ok you see the result right ?

005

so i retreated back to the first white hated wool, exercise exercise … blech

006

doesn't look sooooooo bad does it ?? :D
but the spindle keeps turning backwards after about 3 rounds clockwise … i have nooo idea why … internet … forums … head scratching
ok someone says, bigger whorl is more weight, turns slower (that sounds good) and longer (sounds even better)
hm hm hm cd hm hm stick ? … help i have no stick
found me a size 5 straight metal knitting needle, i don't like the straights anymore … good stick :)
ok cd hole is to big, so stick a bobbin to the cd, the hole is small enough for the head of the knitting needle
ok, instable
get out 2 wooden discs (teddy joints)!
widen the hole, glue on on the bottom of the construction one on the top .. let it dry

and here we go ! yea ! :D looks promising doesn't it ? :D

007

well it turned nice, it spun nice, but the pva glue was not strong enough … i had to remove the bobbin
so just 2 cd between 2 wooden disks, works like a charm, just not running straight, but that's nothing to stop me !!
so i spun an other thread on this construct … oh what a fight ….
but i won !!
and i even managed to spin the 2 yarns together, i wouldn't trust the joint, but hey, its still needs to be plyed :D
wound the whole thing around a ice box, made it wet (yea yea internet told me, why the yellow yarn exploded on me !)

and this is what i got … the strange looking nibble top middle is where i spun the 2 threads together, 1 from the wooden spindle, 1 from my self-made spindle

008

it stays in shape, aint that cool ? :D

tomorrow i will play with plying this 1 thread with itself …   wonder how it will work out finished
i think its to thick for my likings, but i read its hard to spin thick and even, so i tried to make the one thread thicker then the other …. wont be the goal i am aiming for :)
and now i need a whole lot of spindles to test them all !

No comments:

Post a Comment